The design of the 365 GTC was basically similar to that of the last 330 GTCs built, the major difference being that the engine bay air inlets were now on the bonnet and no longer on the flanks. There were more significant changes to the refined mechanics: the new, large V12 engine offered more generous torque at medium revs, greater flexibility and livelier acceleration. Approximately two hundred were built.
The 365 GTC replaced the 330 GTC model in late 1968. Visually it was virtually identical to its predecessor, apart from the omission of the exhaust air outlets on the front wing sides, which were replaced by a trapezoidal black plastic louvre panel close to each trailing corner of the bonnet.Read more
The only other external difference was that the 330 GTC model had a small “330″ script badge on the boot lid below the Ferrari script badge, whereas the 365 GTC model had only the Ferrari script badge. Internally there were small changes to the dashboard and centre console, the most obvious being the addition of two circular directional demister outlets in the centre of the dash top. Like the 330 GTC models, the bodies were built at the Pininfarina works in Turin, then delivered fully trimmed to Ferrari for fitment of the mechanical components.
The bodies were mounted on a 2400mm wheelbase tubular steel chassis with factory reference numbers 592C, and all were numbered in the odd chassis number road car sequence used at that time. The layout was virtually identical to that of the models replaced, as the only mechanical change that had occurred was in the size of the engine. The standard road wheels were the ten-hole alloy design, as fitted to their predecessor, whilst similarly Borrani wire wheels were available as an option.
The engine was an enlarged version of that fitted to the 330 GTC, and identical to that used in the 365 GT 2+2 models already in production when the 365 GTC was announced. It was a single overhead camshaft per bank V12 unit, with factory type reference 245/C, of 4390cc capacity, with a bore and stroke of 81mm x 71mm. It was fitted with a bank of either three twin-choke Weber 40 DFI/5 or 40 DFI/7 carburettors, with a twin coil and rear-of-engine mounted twin distributor ignition system, to produce a claimed 320hp.
The 365 GTC and sister 365 GTS would be the last Ferrari models to be announced with a single overhead camshaft per bank engine, as although the 365 GT 2+2 model continued in production after the 365 GTC, it had gone into production before it. The 365 GTC shared the same five-speed transaxle transmission, and independent rear suspension layout as the 330 GTC model, and as with all Ferrari cars since the beginning of the sixties, four-wheel disc brakes were fitted, with a cable-operated handbrake to the rear wheels.
The 365 GTC had a very short production run into 1970, mainly due to the emission control legislation that was coming into force in the USA and elsewhere, and the cost implications of implementing this on relatively low production series of cars. A total of 168 examples were produced in the chassis number range 11589 to 12785, in both left hand and right hand drive configuration.
|Type||front, longitudinal 60° V12|
|Bore/stroke||81 x 71 mm|
|Unitary displacement||365.86 cc|
|Total displacement||4390.35 cc|
|Compression ratio||8.8 : 1|
|Maximum power||235 kW (320 hp) at 6600 rpm|
|Power per litre||73 hp/l|
|Valve actuation||single overhead camshaft per bank, two valves per cylinder|
|Fuel feed||three Weber 40 DFI/5 carburettors|
|Ignition||single spark plug per cylinder, two coils|
|Front suspension||independent, unequal-length wishbones, coil springs over telescopic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar|
|Rear suspension||independent, unequal-length wishbones, coil springs over telescopic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar|
|Transmission||5-speed + reverse|
|Steering||worm and roller|
|Fuel tank||capacity 90 litres|
|Front tyres||205 x 14|
|Rear tyres||205 x 14|
|Front track||1401 mm|
|Rear track||1417 mm|
|Weight||1350 kg (dry)|
|Top speed||250 km/h|
|Acceleration 0-100 km/h||-|